Friday, December 12, 2014

Hard Lessons to Learn

Wanting something, wanting it really badly, and not getting it is a hard lesson to learn.  It's also really hard when you're a ten year old girl.

Sayre rehearsed with Ryan for weeks.  She auditioned for a solo in the school choir for the annual concert.  She didn't get it.  She was devastated.  

Tonight, in my bathroom, Sayre and I had a conversation about life.  About wanting something so badly it nearly kills you. We talked about not getting what you want.  We talked about how it is moments like this that define who we are.  The feeling one feels in this moment hurts.  It tears your soul apart.  It's miserable.  But it's who we become tomorrow and how we react to this feeling that defines our character.

It's moments like this that make us who we are today.  I went through a litany of things that I wanted in life and never got.  Grades. Races. Relationships. Clothes. Jobs. Trips. Hugs. Skis.  I tried to relate.  I tried to tell her that she will be a better person for this lesson in life.  I hope it helped.  I know how she feels.

Hard lessons to learn.  Why can't we always just get want we want? 

No comments: